Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LED Matrix using an AVR ATTINY2313 and 74LS374


LED Matrix using an AVR ATTINY2313 and 74LS374

This is a little circuit to drive a 5x7 jumbo LED matrix module that I picked up at a local hamfest. All it takes is a ATTINY2313 and a 74LS373 octal latch to create a row/column mux to access the individual Leds in the module. Attached is the schematic. the 6pin ISP programmer is not shown, this is a given , if you're using one of the available programmers, such as the AVRISP mkII from Atmel. I will post a pic of the module shortly with the pins labled.

This schematic can be expanded to include several LED matrix modules. I'm currently wiring up 6 of these into a 15x14 LED matrix. You can alos use a larger AVR such as the ATMega32 or similar which have more I/O's to handle larger displays.

I really want to wire up a RGB LED matrix very soon.

NOTE: Atmel released a newer version of this microcontroller, it's now the ATTINY2313A

No comments:

Post a Comment